Monday, August 20, 2007

Uplift East Durham

I write a lot about my current living situation towards the end of The One Year Daily Grind, so I thought some of you might like an "advanced screening" about my neighborhood. Last October my husband and I joined an intentional Christian community and hospitality house in northeast central Durham, NC, which is basically considered a ghetto. Economic and racial injustice, gang activity, and crime have contributed to 30% of the homes being borded up or abandoned, although there are also little pockets of life and stability--including our block (Vale and Vine Streets).

We have amazing neighbors who are very passionate about this community and have formed an organization called "Uplift East Durham." Our neighbor-across-the-street, Aidil, and our housemate David are the main drive behind this group. Updates are posted here: http://uplifteastdurham.blogspot.com/. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Sarah Notton said...

Cool stuff in your neighborhood! Does your community have a blog? We recently started an intentional community here in Indianapolis and are trying to find out what other folks are doing. (I don't know if you remember, but I talked with you at the Emerging Women confernce last spring...my friend Michelle went to high school with your husband!)

Sarah Arthur said...

Hey Sarah! I remember you were thinking about starting a community in Indy, so I'm excited to hear about it. Our house doesn't have a blog, since we operate more like a family or household than a ministry, but I could email you our brochure (which we're in the process of updating). You could always do an east coast tour and visit all the intentional communities out this way (from The Simple Way in PA to the Rutba House here in Durham, etc.). Our housemates, who started this community, lived in other communities for several months/years before starting their own. Also, you might check out some of the books published/recommended by www.newmonasticism.org and the Catholic Worker movement. Good stuff!
Let's keep in touch. I'll email this note to you.
Sarah Arthur

NYC said...

Hi Sarah,

I was so suprised and glad that you ending up on my blog! I think your devotional book is so interesting! Argh, I wish that I didn't have so much reading for work or school so that I could dive into it more :( Nevertheless, I was planning (hopefully soon) to write an entry about your suggestion to write out our prayers to God. I love that idea! David did it, why can't we :)

I look forward to delving more into your book. Feel free to stop by my blog anytime :)

Lisa said...

Hi Sarah, thanks for the post. Unfortunately the link to the Uplift East Durham blog is a closed blog, only open to invited readers. :(

Your intentional community sounds interesting....

Sarah Arthur said...

Yes, alas, my original post is very old and so that link has changed. Someone else runs the Uplift East Durham blog. Meanwhile, my husband and I have moved back to Michigan because we finished grad school, and the bishop appointed him to a church near Lansing. So we're no longer living in our wonderful community house. But we know we are where God wants us to be!