Thursday, February 28, 2008

Leap Year Devo

Earlier this week my husband pointed out that there's no entry for February 29 in The One Year Daily Grind. My apologies, all. Leap Year never occured to me as I was writing. Which puts you, the reader, in the trippy position of living a day without a devo, living a day that only shows up now and then in a given century, like the village of Brigadoon. (I wonder what it's like to have been born on Feb. 29th?) Of course, I'm sure there's plenty of other spiritual caffeine out there for you to read in the meantime, but in case you can't kick the Daily Grind habit, here's a Leap Year devo just for you.

The Poor Jesus Talked About
Luke 6:17-26

So I was skimming through a Christian magazine recently when an advertisement for a mission agency (to remain nameless) caught my attention. The picture shows a couple of brown kids playing in a slum, with the accompanying tagline: "They are the poor Jesus talked about. You are the church Jesus talked about." And then in smaller print, "The poorest of the poor probably don't live near your church..." Etc.

No big deal, right? It's the usual missionary appeal, one which would've fired me up back in my undergraduate days. We were to follow God's call and go out and change the world. No ordinary jobs for us. No mediocrity. We were cut out for missions, ministry, saving the lost. And if we couldn't do that right away--say, if our college loans were too high--we could always get a good job and support missions with our tithe. In fact, that was just as much a ministry as feeding the hungry ourselves, right?

Thirteen years later, on the downwardly-mobile track of communal living, in the ghetto of an American city, my perspective has shifted. First, on nearly every block of my neighborhood stands a church--generally a cinderblock building with no paid staff, but a church nonetheless. So apparently "poor" does not equal "unsaved" (nor does "brown" equal unsaved, but that's another topic for another devo). And second, in reading Luke's version of the Beatitudes--the version that's not often quoted in churches--we find this awkward line, "But woe to you who are rich" (v. 24). And I think he means it. Woe, that is. Whoa. So apparently "rich" does not equal "saved." And third, I'm not here to save anyone. That job, as one of my favorite professors says, has already been taken. My role is not to "be Christ" in this place. Jesus is already here, in the "least of these" (Matthew 25:40). My purpose is to stick around long enough to meet him.

So, let's go back to the advertisement.

What if Jesus is already in the picture with the two brown children playing in the slum?

What if they are the church Jesus talked about?

And if they are still the poor Jesus talked about--and if they don't live anywhere near our churches--doesn't that make us the...

rich?

Woe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay, an update! Thank you so much for the leap year entry! I noticed that when I was reading Daily Grind on Feb. 29, and thought, "Oh, man! No awesome devo for me today!" So seeing that you posted this made me happy!

This is probably the perfect time to tell you how much I love Daily Grind. My parents gave it to me as an early Christmas present so I started reading it at the end of last year, and right away the devos started speaking to me and encouraging me SO much! God just touched my heart and reminded me that He can still get to me and make me think. I have been disenchanted with devotionals for a few years, so to have yours was truly a blessing!

I love the little details you include (I love the way you told the wintry stories, and I loved learning how you and your husband met [I have a secret appreciation for dreadlocks, so I was in shock and joy to learn that you used to have them]), and how much some of the things you say or feelings you express remind me of myself (I also LOVE Lord of the Rings, and thoroughly enjoyed Walking With Frodo)!

I love how you cover so many different areas that other devotionals don't cover, and if you do cover the same ones you put a neat twist on it. Plus, I'm also extremely excited that you included an entry on Talk Like A Pirate Day! I could barely believe it and I am looking forward to reading it on Sept. 19! Your devotional is exactly what I was looking for, and an answer to my prayers.

Sorry for going on so long, but I can't begin to thank you enough or express how much I love this book. Thank you sooo much, and God bless!