Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Happy Coffee

If you're anything like me, you are addicted to coffee but feel guilty about it--and not because of the addiction (!), but because you're supporting an industry that is unjust to third-world coffee farmers. Roughly every-other-month I stand helplessly in the coffee aisle of the local organic grocery store, feel vaguely outraged at the prices but knowing I need to do something to encourage sustainability. It's the usual stewardship conundrum: should I (a) be a good steward by saving money, or should I (b) be a good steward by paying a bit more to help the earth and those who farm it? Seeing as how I would probably spend the money I saved on "a" for something silly anyway (such as a mocha I don't need) I might as well choose "b" on behalf of creation, right? But somehow the wallet still hurts.

You can imagine my delight when I noticed a table in my church narthex featuring fair trade coffee, tea, and chocolate for sale. For $6 I was able to buy 12 oz. drip grind Equal Exchange coffee through the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) Coffee Project. This morning I am a very, very happy coffee drinker drinking very, very happy coffee. Churches of all denominations can participate in the project too. Interested? Click here to learn more: http://www.equalexchange.com/umcor.

2 comments:

Chiapas09 said...

Hi Sarah,
Just want to point out that The wonderful Equal Exchange coffee can be found in the narthexes of a number of denominations and not just UMCs. I got the UCCs to partner with them some years ago and our local church sells hundreds of gallons of it (and hundreds of bags of it) every year. You can read about it in this article on my blog (which looks mysteriously like yours).

Keep up the good work. I like your devotional style.

Stan Duncan
The coffee story link:
http://homebynow.blogspot.com/2005/07/victor-and-hugo-life-and-faith-and.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I did mention that churches of all denominations can participate in the project too. Good stuff...